Connect with us

Baseball

MLB: Nationals INF Starlin Castro placed on administrative leave

Array ( [0] => https://i2.wp.com/www.sports.cweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/16386595.jpg?fit=550%2C367&ssl=1 [1] => 550 [2] => 367 [3] => 1 )

Washington Nationals infielder Starlin Castro was placed on administrative leave by Major League Baseball on Friday.

Castro was placed on the restricted list and is eligible to be paid while on leave, which lasts seven days and can be extended by MLB.

“The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Washington Nationals infielder Starlin Castro has been placed on Administrative Leave under the Joint MLB-MLBPA Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy,” MLB said in a news release. “Per the policy, the initial period of Administrative Leave may last up to seven days, barring an extension. MLB will provide further comment at the appropriate time.”

The four-time All-Star is batting .283 with three home runs in 87 games this season.

Nationals manager Dave Martinez said in June that Castro was on the restricted list due to a “family matter” and no other details were offered. Castro was away from the team from June 15-17 and activated June 18.

While the MLB statement did not offer any specifics about the alleged incident that led to current leave, The Washington Post reported that it was unrelated to his short time on the restricted list last month.

Castro, 31, is the third current MLB player under investigation.

Injured Atlanta Braves outfielder Marcell Ozuna was arrested May 29 and charged with aggravated assault strangulation and misdemeanor battery/family violence in Sandy Springs, Ga.

MLB and police in Pasadena, Calif., currently are investigating allegations of sexual assault against Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer.

Castro did not face charges in a 2011 incident in which he was accused of sexually assaulting a woman after she passed out. The Illinois State’s Attorney’s Office announced in 2012 that charges were not being brought against Castro due to insufficient evidence.

–Field Level Media

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Sports

    Must See